Saturday, November 14, 2009

What's Toast?

Sometimes as a parent you wonder if you are teaching your kids everything that they are going to need to know for life. Are you inspiring them with wisdom? Teaching them common sense? Showing them all the how to's that invade their day to day worlds? How to make good choices? How to be forgiving? I wonder and hope that I am teaching them what they need to know about God and faith, trusting Him, and about relationships, family and friends. And many days I feel I have failed. Today was one of those...

It started with a typical morning of the kids invading the kitchen to find something to eat for breakfast. Now we aren't huge breakfasty people; pretty much only on weekends do I COOK something for breakfast, except the dreaded weekday oatmeal that comes and goes with moans and heaps of brown sugar. The day began like most, and my Erin came in looking for something, anything. I recommended something we don't have a lot at our house (they get bread everyday in their lunches, so I try for other things in the morning) and suggested toast. "What's TOAST?" was the honest, blunt reply. I stood aghast wondering where I had gone wrong. How did I miss this? "What's toast?" How can you not know what toast is? Maybe it's teenage hormones or brain lapses, I don't know, but if I've missed this, what else has she not learned by watching, observing and being told? I guess I'll soon find out...

This isn't my bread (or toast), I totally stole it off this blog.

3 comments:

bigcanadiangirl said...

I smell burnt toast.

Sandra said...

Lol! This has got to be one of your best posts ever!

As this has been a week of agonizing over the very questions you posted, I'm walking away reassured that it's all going to work out: we're ALL sending our kids out into the world underprepared! Lol. ;)

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Hilarious.