Saturday, July 21, 2012

Cherries in Rum

I had a few requests for this recipe, so thought I'd post it here since that's a little easier than facebook.  It seriously is one of those things that makes me picture sitting in front of the Christmas tree with the lights on and all the mood and glow of that season.  But..I am so not ready for that season yet!!

Brandied Cherries (but I use rum)
6 pounds dark sweet cherries (I used about 10 cups)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water 
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup rum

Wash and pit cherries.  Combine sugar, water and lemon juice in a pot.   I like to add about 1/2 -1 T. cornstarch to it as well, because I like the juice to have just a bit of texture to it, and be not just liquid, but it's your choice.  If you do, add it now.  Bring to a boil then, reduce to simmer.  Add cherries and simmer until hot throughout. Add rum.  Remove from heat and pack into hot jars ladling hot syrup over cherries (leave 1/4" headspace).  Put on lids and process in boiling water canner for 10 min.  Great served over ice cream!  
Really it's the only way to go!

Cherries in rum and cherry jam

No comments: