Friday, April 18, 2008

I Love Beth Moore

I think actually I want to be her. But then I remember that I'm supposed to be me and it seems so mundane. Every time I hear her speak though, I am totally inspired. The teacher in me wants to do what she is doing. I started a new group last week and am loving this study. Makes me get into reading and study mode and using my brain. My new friend, the one with the small child licked upon profusely by my stupid dog, and I have been walking twice a week at 6:30 am, yes A.M., and I am not a morning person!! We are having some terrific talks about what we're learning.

"I lift my eyes to the hills,
Where does my help come from?
It comes from you,
Maker of heaven and earth"

Yes even at 6:30 am I lift my eyes up after I pry them open!

We had a fascinating study about the 3 Feasts in the OT and how they relate to the NT days especially up to and surrounding the death of Christ. Our God is so much full of details!! Jesus was crucified on Passover (representative of the death of those who were not covered under the blood back in Egypt). He is described as the Passover Lamb and shared that last meal with His disciples making it a new feast from then on. The next Feast directly following in the Jewish calendar is the Feast of Unleavened Bread where they were not to have any yeast at all, in preparation for their journey out of Egypt quickly. Yeast became symbolic of sin on the NT and Jesus was in the grave during this Feast time. His Body was like the unleavened bread, sinless and broken for us. It really struck me the need for us to get rid of the yeast in our own lives (including the yeast around my belly). The 3rd feast that followed was the Feast of First Fruits. It wasn't immediately after as far as I can tell, I'll have to check on that again, but it was in celebration of the firstfruits of the harvest and Jesus was the completion and fulfillment of that as well in being the first offering given for all of sin. He became the offering to God so that we only need to turn to Him the perfect scarifice. I think it is amazing to rediscover these things and say WOW, He really has all the details worked out. So how much more will He care for me when He worries about every small thing.

"He sees the little sparrow fall I know He loves me too"
remember that Sunday school song?

Kind of significant as today is the start of Passover. Imagine the Israelites hiding in their homes all night waiting to see what would happen, wondering if they would hear the angel of death, or see him, or see what he would do, wondering what God had planned for them. Eating this first meal of lamb together in this special way, wondering if they had done it right. Worrying about whether or not they would ever be free from Egypt. And we are just given this freedom handed to us.... but how often do we not quite reach out and grab it all? Worried about the sacrifice or the uncomfortable-ness of being totally and completely submitted to Him?

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love Beth too. I'd like to be best friends with her. I don't want to disappoint you but I think my chances are better since she's a fellow Texan. I might invite you along on some outings though. :)