Thursday, May 8, 2008

Meet Bri

So I had an amazing coffee date last week that I have been meaning to tell you about....

After a long walk one afternoon with a friend, we got to talking about parenting and kids- as usual- some concerns about our own kids and reaffirming our need to pray for our kids and each others'. She was telling me about this great book she's been reading as we both head into the unknown of the pre-adolescent, or maybe not so "PRE" anymore. We talked about the struggle of having great community for our kids to grow up in when we don't have extended family close by and the church we attend is so large it's hard to find real discipleship for our children from anyone but ourselves. This author shares the importance of having mentors and other adults that pour into your children, and the value of that. Our family have that definitely to a certain extent, but maybe not to the degree we want. So my friend and I decided in theory it would be a good idea to have mentors for our children. So in theory... I forgot about it a few hours later and carried on with life. BUT, she did not and phoned me several days later saying she had found a mentor for my girl! Highly recommended by her husband, an English teacher, and already recruited for the job!

Meet Bri... she is 20, fun loving, passionate about Jesus, a horse freak (and owner), a dog lover, an English major in university, and off the wall excited about being a mentor to someone who sounds just like she was at 12. We met for coffee and I love her! So the 3 of us (plus Ditto) went on a hike on Sunday and you can see video footage on my girl's blog.


Yes she is holding a snake - my kind of girl- and about the same height as my girl!
So we shall see what natural relationship transpires from this, but we're off to a great start! Can't wait to spend more time together! Here's to a new friend for us all!

2 comments:

bigcanadiangirl said...

That is so cool. They already look like buddies.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That's really amazing! What an awesome thing for Erin.