Sunday, May 25, 2008

Weekends are always too short...

Thankfully Kevin has tomorrow off. Since it's a US long weekend, he's home-- oh wait, he's always home! He didn't get last Monday off- the Canadian holiday, so tomorrow we have a morning tennis game scheduled, then me not realizing he was off scheduled myself a Dr. appt. so that'll be quick. No Pap needed thankfully. We know how fun that can be. Calls for a lot of mental preparation, especially when you see your doc at church the next Sunday. Who knows what else we'll do with the kids at school, maybe lunch :)

We had a lovely weekend. Friday night started out with a game of Capture the Flag at Bri's farm in the dark. Bedtime-- midnight. They had a blast! They are intense about the game, dark clothing, flashlights, crawling on your bellies through the pastures. The adults had a free evening, I am loving this girl even more! Saturday's soccer games were fabulous, with the boys winning 4-1. One of my favorite boys on the team is this sweet and well mannered, very quiet and timid fellow. His parents are lovely people who handle his mild mannered"ness" so gracefully, even though I can tell they are competitive and want him to dive in there and be aggressive. Well this lovely fellow scored his first goal and was just beaming- but not too outwardly though. The smile was just a half smile with his head down, but on the inside I knew he was bursting. Kevin plays him center forward often, just because he can do whatever he wants because he's the coach, and it makes me love him more.

Today marked the official opening of Kelowna's new bridge. A big deal in a small city like ours. We had planned to bike down and have a piece of the 10 foot cake, but the rain on and off dissuaded us, so we went and bought my Mother's Day tree instead. I guess it was fitting that the kids got the final say and we came home with a Spartan apple tree. Not at all what I had in mind, but I'm very happy with it.

The dead tree that I was going to replace is now showing some signs of very limited life.

I know quite a bit about gardening, but not much about trees, so don't know if this is going to make it or not. We've decided to give it another week and if nothing happens, out it goes!
It looks very dead don't you think?

In bloom this week... irises
(I should start a weekly column, all I need is amazing photos, not just point and shoot)

And Siberian irises...
and some lovely hellebore (the other purple stuff)
that I planted last year but it didn't bloom the first year...
next to my wavy and fluffy Arctic willow bush that has
looked so flowy blowing in the wind this weekend.

2 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!

bigcanadiangirl said...

I'm loving this Bri girl too. Can she be my mentor?

I'm jealous of how far along your garden is - I have partially green grass and the trees are just starting to come out.